Hi There Lovelies!
Hope you’re all well!
With it being freezing outside, I felt it right to write this little post about my top 5 comfort foods to eat on days like this when you just want a bowl/plate of home-cooked loveliness to warm your cockles!
- Tomato Soup-I think this is a self-explanatory one. Who could say no to the awesomeness that is tomato soup? Whether it’s homemade or Heinz, this is my go to snuggle food when it’s freezing out and I want something simple.
- A nice and spicy stir-fry-I don’t make these anywhere near often enough but they are so satisfying! The spicyness warms you up and if you use spicy chicken goujons (like I sometimes get from Iceland) then you get the added kick! There’s a lot to be said for a chilli feel warming your insides up!
- Sausage Casserole-I love this just with mash or a plate full of veggies because it is so simple to make. Just brown off your sausages and throw them in a casserole dish with some stock and veggies,pop the lid on and stick it in the oven for an hour and half and voila! You have a stonking dish of winter warming goodness that anyone would like in front of them!
- A spicy Chilli- This goes with number 2 because it gives you a nice chilli kick to warm you up and is super easy to make. Chilli is ALWAYS better the day after too because the meat and spices stew overnight and make it super tasty. You can always have some garlic bread to go with it too. Here’s a good Slimming World recipe to try if you want a big warm chilli hug!
- Shepherds Pie- I love making this on a Sunday for a nice filling dinner and make loads of veg and gravy to go with it for a proper winter warming dish.I use beef mince from my local butcher because it’s very low in fat so is better for you but you can get a low fat mince from the supermarket. If I’m being particularly naughty, I will grate some cheese on top of the pie to give it a nice touch and make it extra tasty!
All these meals can be made healthy by swapping high fat meat for low fat and keeping the oil use to a minimum. It’s always better to make them yourself because that way, you know exactly what goes into it.
What do you grab as a comfort food when you need a winter warmer to make everything better? I was going to add spaghetti bolognese and a good curry to the list but then this list would start to go on forever!
Have a fab Friday everyone, love you all.