As regular readers will know, I have been on this healthy lifestyle journey for over a year now and have lost just over 6 stone in total (fist pump!)
I’ve been meaning to do this post for a while but held off because I wasn’t sure how to describe some of the following points but let’s give it a go anyway and see where it takes us. Basically, these are things that I assumed would either improve/change as I lost weight but haven’t.
1. I thought I would automatically be able to walk in high heels…no. When I was huge, I couldn’t wear heels for very long because I had to put more effort into just walking that I got hot and bothered and also my feet would hurt just because of the sheer weight on the heels. I still can’t walk in them.Practice still makes perfect it seems!
2. I thought my boobs would perk up…nope. I thought that as I lost the weight, my boobs would go down and tone up. They have gone down but are currently like empty pillowcases. I am still trying to tone them with certain exercises but I think it’s time to realise that they will only go so far. My mum says, ‘as long as they look good in a bra, that’s all that matters’, so on we go!
3. I thought I would stop caring about what people think. This is a big one for me because I have always judged my self-worth on how people see me. I know I shouldn’t but it’s just the way my mind works. I care less about what others think but that niggling thought is still always there if I step out of the house with a more unique outfit or a particularly daring makeup look. I think this is something a lot of women experience; that want to be accepted and so closing off your personality a little and toning down your look. I will try harder to care less about what others may think when they look at me, because in reality, they will just be going about their own business and won’t take a second glance at what I look like.
4. I thought I would completely change my mindset about food. This has happened to an extent but I still see food as something to indulge in and to be enjoyed. I also love cooking and trying new flavours, so I guess this will always be something of a challenge to see food more as fuel and not as a hobby.
5. I thought I would be able to run for longer. I can run for 3 minutes currently on level 9.5 at a push. I don’t really know how to explain it; it’s not a sprint but is a decent run. I think to improve this further, I need to run outdoors but will have to grab a buddy so I don’t do it alone.
6. I thought I would magically get a new wardrobe of clothes that fit me. This was a pipe-dream really. Because I know I am losing weight, I am having to buy clothes now that are a bit smaller than I wear currently, purely because I don’t have enough money to keep refreshing my wardrobe whenever I drop a few stone. I had lost about 4.5 stone before my clothes got ridiculous and I had to buy a few new bits. I still have to get rid of a lot of my bigger clothes but that is a chore in itself. I will do it…eventually.
7.I thought I would see muscles by now. This has not happened. I feel stronger but what muscles I may have are still covered by a layer of fat and flab. So I think this is a slow burner in terms of seeing anything remotely muscle like.
So those are some the things that I thought would have changed/improved with weight loss. If I think of anymore, I will update this post. I would love to hear if any of you have experienced the same sort of issues as these, particularly the boob one as that is one that has really peeved me off. I am 25 and my boobs look 60. But I will moisturise them until they come back to life! Here’s hoping!
Comments please as I am interested in what you guys have experienced!